Handgun Purchase Permit Requirements
- Be a citizen, a naturalized citizen or a resident alien;
- Be at least 21 years of age;
- Have attained at least one month’s residency in Greene County;
- Provide a valid driver’s license or other picture ID provided by the state of North Carolina, with current address;
- Must apply in person.
- Must be able to properly complete application process.
- Must provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Must provide a list of previous addresses for the past 10 years.
- Must be of good moral character.
- Must not have any pending charges or unserved papers.
- Must pass criminal history background check.
- A criminal background check must be performed before granting of permit.
Permit to purchase a handgun costs five dollars ($5.00) .
Permit to purchase a handgun is valid for a period of five (5) years from date of issue, unless your address changes.
Permit fees are due at the time the application is turned in; Fees are non refundable whether you are eligible for a permit or not.
If you have been discharged from the U.S. Military, you will need to bring your DD214 at the time that you submit your application.
Click on the links below for the three forms needed to obtain a Purchase Permit
Mental Heath Release Form
Previous Names and Addresses Form
(( All three forms must be submitted to the Sheriff’s Office in order for your application to be processed ))